Sunday, August 24, 2014

2011 Tuella Douro Redux


Uncorked a Portuguese Red this afternoon.  I had tried this one back in October of last year, but found a bad cork.  Imagine my happiness when I popped the cork on this one, sniffed it and just a wonderful aroma of blackberries and plums emerged.  I'm happy to say that this bottle was fine and thanks go out to Dick and Lino for suggesting that I give this wine another try.

This wine reminds me a bit of a old vine Zinfandel, which is a great thing.  Red fruits out front, but a nice deeply seated earthiness and spice that you are left with in the smooth finish.  So glad I tried another bottle.


The Douro region of Portugal is centered on the Douro River, in the northeastern corner of Portugal.  This region produces most of the grapes used in Port, but there are many grapes that are vinified into non-fortified wines, including this one.  Terraced vineyards along the Douro River - yes - someday I will make it to Portugal.

This wine is a bargain at around $7 at my local Trader Joes.  Portuguese Red's - ya gotta love 'em.

Cheers,
Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment