Sunday, April 8, 2012

Smoked, Smoked Beer On A Sunday


Cracked open a Schlenkerla Marzen Rauchbier this afternoon while I rip some of my Replacements bootlegs.  Wow - this Rauchbier is really smooth and the smoked character is not overwhelming at all.  Should go well with the Smoked Ham and roasted potatoes that I am whipping up for Easter Dinner.

Never heard of a Rauchbier?  Well, I hadn't until recently on an episode of the great Rock N Roll Manifesto show.  One of his guests on the show, Matt, described the Rauchbier and I had to find one to try.  As luck would have it, my local Beer Shoppe stocks the full line of Rauchbiers, so I picked out the Marzen.  Now, Rauchbiers all have the smoked flavor due to the brewery's unique treatment of the malts before brewing.  The malt is roasted, much like coffee beans, for that rich smoked flavor.

Here is the Breweries website ------>  SchlenkerLa

More info about the beer and it's history -------> German Beer Institute

The Wiki on Rauchbier ------->  Smoked Beer

Have a great Easter.

Cheers,

Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment