Sunday, November 15, 2015

2011 Gundlach Bundschu Mountain Cuvee Red Blend



A crisp fall day out here on the left coast.  Some rain this morning, but it had been clearing up and I might be able to fire up the grill in the open!  I have some Tri-Tip marinating in the fridge and some chocolate for dessert, so I needed a nice hearty red to go with them.

This red blend is from the 2011 vintage and a great Sonoma Valley Winery called Gundlach Bundschu.  Set on a little knoll in the valley, the winery has been operated since 1858 by six generations of the Bundschu family.


Sticking my nose in the glass, I get a bit of heavenly perfume and some really light and high fruit notes - kinda strange for a wine that is 5 years old.  On the tongue, more fruit, some leather and vanilla and the finish is dry, dry,dry. Reminding me of that Muster's episode where Fred sings "How Dry I Am" in the shower.....  This is not one of those Red Blends that amps up the sweetness.  Now, I like those, but this one is nice as well, and a bargain at around 15 smackers.  Now most of the Gundlach Bundschu stuff clocks in at $30 or higher, so grab this one while you can.

Gundlach Bundschu Website ----> Modern American Blend

Reverse Wine Snob Review ----> Guaranteed to put a smile on your face

Cheers,
Jerry





No comments:

Post a Comment